Friday, July 5, 2019

Let Them Eat Cake!

Okay, I'm going to be completely honest. I was totally bummed yesterday. I'm used to eating my GERD friendly diet every other day, but holidays still get to me. Barbecue was out of the question, and there was no way I was making my traditional apple pie. So, I decided to do something to cheer myself up.

The challenge: Could I make one of my childhood favorites healthier and GERD friendly without losing the quality? I decided to take Mrs. Betty's Apple Coffeecake.

Y'all no one cooks better than a Southern church lady. It's a fact, not an opinion, so don't even try to debate me on it. I don't care that I live in Colorado now. I still want to be considered a Southern church lady when I cook. I took this challenge because I couldn't ruin Mrs. Betty's coffeecake.

The original recipe called for oil and eggs. That knocked me out of the running because each serving would be 14 grams of fat, and I can only have 3 grams of fat per meal. So, I replaced the eggs with servings of egg white substitute and the oil with applesauce. Because of the sweetness of applesauce, I cut the sugar in half from two cups to one cup. I was afraid of it being too sweet. My husband said this is a fear that I should never have. 🀣

Here were my ingredients:

1 cup of sugar
1 cup of applesauce
2 servings of liquid egg whites
3 cups of flour
1 tsp of baking soda
1 tsp of cinnamon
1/2 tsp of salt
2 tsp of vanilla
4 cups of diced apples

I first creamed the sugar and applesauce together. Then I added all of the other ingredients to the bowl. The recipe calls for four cups of apples. I used medium honeycrisp, and it took two and three quarters apples. I could have increased the fiber by using wheat flour, but I decided to try with white flour for the first time trying this. I poured everything into a greased pan (I used a 9 X 13) and baked it at 350 degrees. Mine took 35 minutes before I felt it was ready.

What were the results? Half of the pan is currently gone. It cured my Fourth of July I can't eat any delicious food funk! It actually got better as the day went on and tasted more moist.

Feedback from my husband and father in law was that it needed more sugar (my father in law said this as he ate his second piece πŸ˜‰) My husband said a little cinnamon sugar on top would have worked instead of more sugar in the cake. My mother in law said it was sweet enough already. It was more dense than Mrs. Betty's so I would whip the egg whites before adding them to the mix next time to give it a lighter texture. I plan on trying this again for sure, I mean for scientific blog purposes only of course.

Now, for the nutrition. I put the recipe in My Fitness Pal so that I could get the nutrition. The big one for my GERD diet is fat. I love the original recipe, but 14 grams of fat would have had me in pain and possibly telling Ben what to tell the hospital workers if an ambulance has to come get me (I may be a bit dramatic sometimes). This new recipe has 0 grams of fat per serving instead. I wouldn't recommend eating the entire pan because of course it is still a dessert, but I would definitely make this to cure those I need some dessert blues. These facts are for 1 piece when I divided the pan into 16 pieces. You can see from the picture above that it was a good size piece.


Mission success!!! πŸŽ†πŸŽ‰


No comments:

Post a Comment

Healthy Vegetable Fried Rice

  W e are on an adventure! I'm trying out new recipes for my family. Up for tonight.... healthier vegetable fried rice. Ingredients Used...