Thursday, June 20, 2019

Pizza Challenge!

Ben has been craving pizza 🍕since starting his 30 day "Eat Like Kristie" challenge and has made it very known...very known y'all. My husband is probably made of about 50% pizza at this point from all that he has eaten over the years. He didn't think I could create a healthier pizza. Because I love challenges (and because I haven't had pizza in 6 months and it sounded amazing!), I decided that we would do a pizza challenge!

We used three different crusts in our challenge. The first was just a Martha White mix, the second was a wheat crust recipe (http://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/252206/whole-wheat-pizza-dough/ ) and the third was one I found that Weight Watchers suggests. The last one was simple but intimidating. It is just one cup of fat free yogurt and one cup of flour mixed together (Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes). Simple enough, except for the fact that my husband hates yogurt. I kept hoping that the yogurt taste would magically cook away. We decided the only fair way to judge would be to split each pizza in half. "We all try them all!" (and yes, I was singing that Office reference in my head as we talked about it)

Ben and I required different toppings. Ben wanted a hearty pizza with lots of toppings. On his side, he had 1/4 cup pizza sauce, 1 cup fat free mozzarella, 1 cup skim milk mozzarella, 7 turkey pepperoni, 1 tbs bacon crumbling pizza topping (this was the one topping he didn't like), 2 tbs onions, 2 tbs bell pepper, 1 tb mushrooms, 1 tb olives, 1 tbs parmesan, and some Italian seasoning.

On my side of the pizzas, I had to use nonstick cooking spray instead of pizza sauce (huge GERD trigger!) but it worked out pretty well.  You can also just use a little olive oil. I then added 1 cup of fresh spinach, 1.5 oz of chicken breast, 1 cup of fat free mozzarella, 1 tbs of parmesan, and some Italian seasoning. Mine was simple, but I was still excited at the prospect of pizza.

The best thing about making your own pizza is that you control what goes on it. You control the calories, carbs, protein, and fat. Since being diagnosed with GERD, I've embraced controlling what goes in my body through cooking my own foods and experimenting with modifications. "I've got the power!" (I'm full of pop culture references tonight, okay... always.)

So...which crust won? Ben was pleasantly surprised that he didn't consider any of them bad. He said they were all good but the wheat crust was his favorite. He liked the Weight Watchers one at first but said that he tasted a yogurt aftertaste. I loved the pizza with the Weight Watchers crust! I ate half a slice of the other two and a full slice of that one. The best part was that one slice (1/8 of pizza, 1/4 of my side) was only 130 calories, .7 grams of fat, and 16.7 grams of protein. Each of my meals can have up to 3 grams of fat so I could confidently eat more than one slice of pizza using this recipe.

Mrs. Martha White failed to impress. I would only use it in emergencies. Once again, making it yourself normally tastes better.

Our stomachs are full, and my kitchen now has so much pizza in it. Guess who isn't cooking tomorrow.😉

If you have any questions about the toppings or anything else about or pizza challenge, go ahead and comment below or ask me on my fb post when I share it.

And now.....dessert!!! Ben has been crazing brownies so Enjoy Life is coming to the rescue. We have tried several of their products before and like everything so far. Since I can't have chocolate, I'm enjoying an ice cream cone (fat free cool whip in a sugar cone) Treat Yo Self! (Parks and Rec reference. I can't stop y'all) Us Patricks know how to party!

The wheat crust. Ben got started before I could take a picture.

The yogurt crust! We grabbed this one quickly.

Martha White crust.

1 comment:

Healthy Vegetable Fried Rice

  W e are on an adventure! I'm trying out new recipes for my family. Up for tonight.... healthier vegetable fried rice. Ingredients Used...