Saturday, September 28, 2019

Coffee! Coffee! Coffee!

I grew up a fan of Gilmore Girls, okay obsessed with Gilmore Girls and convinced I was going to marry my own Luke one day (and I have ☺️). One of the biggest things I got from Gilmore Girls ..my coffee obsession! I started small...one cup a day. I can do just one cup. Then my students started playing the game of guessing how many cups I had that day based on how much I moved in class. At one point, I worked four jobs (hello single teacher status) and basically lived on coffee. I would tell everyone I only drank one cup and would leave out the fact that my large cup fit an entire pot of coffee. 

In 2018 I was diagnosed with migraines. No big deal. Plenty of people say caffeine helps migraines.. except caffeine didn't help me because it made it to where I couldn't relax and tension headaches led to migraines.

Enter the world of decaf. I know, it's like a curse word to coffee drinkers around the world. After a while, I got use to it though...then came GERD. Good ole GERD stripped me of my decaf. Coffee is seriously acidic y'all.

 I became the girl staring at others drinking their coffee. Okay, confession time...I actually sniffed my friend's coffee several times just to get the smell of it. I needed my mental fix. I'm from South Louisiana where everyone goes to each other's houses to drink coffee and kids drink "coffee milk" with their parents and grandparents. How could I be stripped of something that was a part of me?!

It's been nine months since I told coffee goodbye. A few days ago, I received a fb message that has changed everything so I want to share it with everyone. Teeccino! No, that's not a foreign language or a new slang word that you don't know. (Although it might be because I'm really bad at knowing new slang and would have no clue). Teeccino is made from carob and other ingredients instead of coffee beans. It comes in different flavors such as French Roast and Hazelnut, and you can find it online or in some grocery stores (Natural Grocers, Sprouts). It has no caffeine and isn't acidic. Score! I found some basic creamer, and I now have my coffee fix again. Is it the same as coffee? Nope. Does it fill that void that has been missing for nine months? Sure does. I had some this afternoon with some healthy cookies that I baked and felt like me again.

I know that coffee doesn't define the woman, but I hope I make Lorelai proud. 😉



No comments:

Post a Comment

Healthy Vegetable Fried Rice

  W e are on an adventure! I'm trying out new recipes for my family. Up for tonight.... healthier vegetable fried rice. Ingredients Used...