Wednesday, September 18, 2019

It's Been A While

So, it's been a while since my last blog post. School started. For any elementary teachers reading (or their significant others who watch the zombies return home every day at the beginning ) , that's enough of an explanation. My son also started preschool this year, and that pretty much rocked my world. I'm the mom of a pre-ker! I'm still not sure how this is my life.

As it turns out, GERD doesn't just go away so I've been keeping up with my gerd friendly food and trying new ones. I've updated the Google Doc with new foods that I've tried successfully. One of my favorites has been the super easy pumpkin muffins that my four year old gobbles up. The recipe is on my fb page. I'm currently 95 lbs down, and it has all come from just following GERD friendly foods and some fun exercise.

95 lbs down, I am still in disbelief. I look at the number on the scale, but my mind is still trying to wrap around it.

My mind has actually been the toughest part of this whole process. My assistant principal recorded me teaching this past week and had me watch it to reflect. I'll be honest and say that it was one of the toughest things I've had to do in a while. I cried while watching it. I couldn't see my teaching. I could only see my stomach that still needs a lot of work. Instead of my learning target, I saw that fat roll that will never go away (I'm blaming Little Debbie for that one. She is the friend who never leaves your side. 🤣) I saw myself 95 lbs ago. My husband then gave me a pep talk...okay it was more of a come to Jesus talk...about how I need to see myself. As sweet as he is every time he tells me I'm beautiful (for the record, he has always said that to me at any weight), it's not enough. It will never be enough for me to rely on the opinion of others. It's time to get this mind in shape.

So, that's where I am. On the exciting news front, I am in the middle of a project to celebrate losing 100 lbs. My goal is to get people, myself included, to donate at least 100lbs total to local food banks, local food pantries, or homeless feeding programs. So far, I've had people in 2 states participate, and I am so pumped up. There was a time in my life when food was not always something I could just go and buy. I stressed about how I was going to buy food for the week. I remember my dad telling me to go look at something he bought, and there was a $20 bill for me next to a can of green beans. I remember a friend inviting me out to eat. I was stressed and knew that I could only spend $5, and she surprised me by paying for my meal. I'm so excited to be at a point in my life where I can pay it forward for others, and this project has re-energized this tired teacher! If you would like to participate and aren't local, give to a local place. I am asking that you send me the weight of the food and a pic because I am so excited to make a collage of all the food in the end to remember this project and milestone.

If you are at a point in your life where you can't help with my current project, no problem! I encourage everyone to pay kindness forward somehow today. Open a door for someone, smile at someone (even if they have their grumpy pants on), just be kind.

If you have any suggestions for future blog posts, comment here, comment on my fb page, send me a fb message, a pigeon with a note...something. What would you like to see more of? meal ideas? dessert ideas? exercises with gerd (because some are very bad for people with gerd)? my husband's justification for pizza as healthy because it has vegetables? Just let me know.

The picture is my preschooler's self portrait....because he is pretty good at seeing just how awesome he is.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Healthy Vegetable Fried Rice

  W e are on an adventure! I'm trying out new recipes for my family. Up for tonight.... healthier vegetable fried rice. Ingredients Used...