Monday, July 22, 2019

Sometimes I Get Emotional....Well, Emotional Eating That Is

Emotional eating, it's been there with me my entire life. This is one of the things I can confidently say I know that I am not alone in because I see people post about it in fitness groups on Facebook all the time. We do great, we are set with healthy choices, and then something goes wrong and that craving for homemade granola over low fat yogurt quickly spirals into an entire pint of Blue Bell's crazy cookie dough, not that I know from experience or anything but y'all crazy cookie dough could definitely be someone's kryptonite and bride's cake may have helped me usher in my 30's.

I have joked with my husband before about my non healthy relationship with Little Debbie growing up. I told him that Little Debbie was my best friend during those awkward teen years because she always stuck by my side...well, to my side. Some can eat one swiss cake roll and be done. I would eat one and then plot on how I could hide the fact that I ate another from my parents. It was an unhealthy relationship, but I didn't know how to get away from it. When I was sad, Little Debbie made me feel a little better. When I was discouraged, Blue Bell was there to save the day. When I was stressed, good ole Ruffles knew how to calm me down. I was ashamed that I emotionally ate, which led to even more emotional eating. Shame can keep us trapped far longer than we ever thought. It was a cycle for me.

Then, my twenties happened. I went through a divorce at only 23. Out of respect for the other person involved and because it isn't just my story to tell, I won't include any details other than I went through a divorce and it was the hardest time in my life at that point. I decided to try something new. Instead of emotional eating, it was emotional working out. Every time I would start feeling depressed, I would go run. I found this great track that almost no one went to so I could run and then just talk/ yell to God how much everything sucked (Sorry to everyone who corrected me about saying the word suck growing up. As you can see, it still stuck, but your voices reminding me to say stink are always still there every time I use it). I lost weight and got healthy. I felt amazing! I had finally beat the emotional eating right?

Nope. In 2012 I had a tragic accident. Okay...so I had an accident on a kid's inflatable water slide, more comedic than tragic. It left me needing two surgeries and being told I could no longer run. Cue the emotional eating again. The great thing about being stuck on a sofa after surgery...people feel bad and buy you all your favorite foods to pig out on. The bad thing about being stuck on a sofa after surgery, well, read the last part of the sentence before this one. I put on about 30 pounds in a few months.

I would love to say that now that I am down 80 lbs that I have fully conquered emotional eating, but I haven't. Last week, we got some hard news about a family member's health, and out came the jelly beans. Just yesterday, I had something discouraging happen and I broke out a serving of reduced fat Nilla Wafers....the Nilla Wafers people. My husband looked straight at me when our pastor then had a part of his sermon on how do we do when we are discouraged or things don't go our way. How do pastors always know about those emotional eaten Nilla Wafers? 🤣

This post isn't to say, "Hey, look at me! I've conquered this and you can too! This is how you do it in three easy steps!!' It's saying that you aren't alone if emotional eating has been a struggle for you. It's one I am daily working on. For me, putting on worship music and very loudly belting it out so that the entire county around me helps. One of my sisters loves to go for bike rides in nature when she is stressed. I mean, I now have a metal plate and five screws thanks to a water slide accident so I'm thinking I can't afford the medical bills that would result from me biking. I know that the key is to stop associating food with comfort and getting over stress and start actually dealing with the source of the emotions. So, that's where I'm at right now. I'm taking it each day knowing that, even though my emotional eating is now GERD friendly healthier options than before, it's still emotional eating and that's not too healthy. A Nilla wafer should just be a Nilla wafter, and a jelly bean should just be a jelly bean.

So, if you are in the same boat as me, let's try to both work on it this week. Find someone to encourage you, or, in my case, stare at you when the pastor is talking directly about you. 😳 When you get stressed out or discouraged, know that Little Debbie and Duncan Hines won't solve the problem and will possibly leave you with a stomach ache later. Let's get creative in how we can replace emotional eating with something healthy. Feel free to comment on this post or on my post on The Cajun Coloradan Facebook page if you are in this with me or if you have some great ideas for me.

                                                       The Starer...aka my amazing husband

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It's such a daily struggle, but we've got this!

      Delete
  2. Y'all are an inspiration to others struggling with the same issues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! My goal is for everyone to succeed together.

      Delete

Healthy Vegetable Fried Rice

  W e are on an adventure! I'm trying out new recipes for my family. Up for tonight.... healthier vegetable fried rice. Ingredients Used...