Sunday, June 23, 2019

Let's Get Physical, Physical!

All I can think of when I read the title of this post is Olivia Newton John in full 80s workout gear. When I was a kid, I sweated to the oldies more than once or twice. In fact, to this day, I can still do the entire dance to "It's My Party, and I'll Cry If I Want To" right alongside Mr. Richard Simmons himself, and I know that "he's a rebel and he'll never be any good."

The first thing I had to do when I was diagnosed with GERD was get my diet in order. The second thing I had to do...get moving. The hard part is that it seemed like such a catch 22. GERD can be triggered by intense exercise, but exercise is also a way that they recommend to help alleviate GERD symptoms. So, I should workout to get rid of GERD, but it can also trigger it??? I decided to tread lightly, focusing on workouts that didn't stress out my core muscles.

The American Heart Association recommends 150 minutes of moderate intensity activity each week. I pretty much listen to them since I have so much heart disease in my family. I'm pretty sure all of South Louisiana has heart disease in their family.

I've heard many excuses about not being able to workout because there isn't enough time. I'm not here to judge or put down anyone saying this because I was that person! By the time I drove to the gym, worked out, had a hydromassage (I'm pretty sure you have to do that after exercising, right?) and drove home, an hour and a half had passed. Then I was stressed out about cooking a healthy dinner and falling behind in everything happening in my house. If you can get to the gym and it works in your schedule, that's awesome! You get it girl! (boy, woman, man, fish-okay, I'm easily distracted and just looked up at our 200 fish) I loved my workouts at the gym. I loved taking time for myself and doing something for myself...and I loved the hydromassage!!! It hasn't been practical in this season of my family's life. So, back to the drawing board.

In today's society, there are so many workouts online. There is this little known site called YouTube where you can watch everything from workout videos to kids playing with playdough. The key is to actually workout with the workout videos and not watch them while eating a snack...guilty! Y'all, I don't know what is wrong with me, but I get so much joy out of watching workout videos or the Biggest Loser while eating something unhealthy. I mean, I genuinely just got joy just typing that.  Because I have workout restrictions with my foot-a plate and five screws holding it together- most workout videos don't workout for me (hehe see what I did with that cheesy joke?). I had to modify so much that I didn't feel like I was working out.

I think the key is finding things that get you moving. You love outdoors? Go for a walk or hike or do some yoga outside. No workout equipment at home? Get to highstepping in place. Throw in some arms crosssing and touching your knees as you go. Got some cans of beans? Congrats! You have some light weights to workout with. I have 5 and 10lb weights that I bought for less than ten dollars at Wal-Mart (I invest big in my workouts obviously). Ben saw how much I love working out and bought me some resistance bands (Amazon) and a weighted medicine ball for Mother's Day. There are tons of workouts for these on Pinterest.

What's the point of this? I've had some people ask me what workouts I'm doing, but there is absolutely no magic formula. I've actually changed my workout so often because, as stated before, I get distracted easily and can't do the same workout every day. Currently, I workout on our elliptical (thank you Lord for the person getting rid of a free elliptical), use my weights for a quick arm workout, do 150 crunches, and 100 leg lifts on each side. Then I stretch to finish. Is this perfect? nope. Am I a professional trainer? nada. I figure out what works for me and what gives me those endorphins and go with it. As spoken by the very wise Elle Woods "Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. Happy people don't kill their husbands; they just don't" 😉 Find positive music that gets you moving if that motivates you. I change up my songs all the time because I like certain beats when I workout, but I love finishing my stretching to Caleb and Kelsey's "You Say/Who You Say I Am" to get me refocused on who I am and do some emotional health management too.

Huge shout outs! One of my friends decided to start eating healthier two weeks ago. Out of respect to her privacy, I won't use her name so let's just call her Wonder Woman. Wonder Woman has made changes to what she eats and has been exercising and is down 8lbs! My hunka hunka burning love hubby started two weeks ago and is down 12 lbs! I was most impressed with him on Friday. He decided to go to Taco Bell and cheat, and he actually looked at the calories on the menu board to make better choices. Score!!!

Say hello to my goal jeans! Y'all these are the "maybe I'll fit them again one day" but in reality it's ten years and five sizes later jeans. Am I done? Nope! Am I supermodel skinny, hahahaha! 🤣 (I just got a core workout in laughing at that one.)  But I am healthier, and it felt so good to get into these again. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Healthy Vegetable Fried Rice

  W e are on an adventure! I'm trying out new recipes for my family. Up for tonight.... healthier vegetable fried rice. Ingredients Used...