Tuesday, June 25, 2019

Say What?!

See bottom of post for a meal idea

We've all been told just how powerful words are. "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me" Yep, the lie detector test determined that's a lie. We tell kids to be nice. "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all." (So many years of silence....I'm kidding!) But, do we tell ourselves that? What power do the words we say to ourselves have over us?

I know this sounds "kumbaya"ish , but I've really been reflecting on this as my four year old has started mimicking everything we say, I  mean everything. I accidentally taught him "buttnugget" the other day and then had to tell him that mommy was wrong and we shouldn't say that. I also had to turn away so he didn't see me laugh 🀣 Think about some of the things we say about ourselves. Would you really allow someone to say that about you?

I know, I know. Kristie, where are you going with this? Aren't you supposed to be writing about GERD and eating healthy? Yes, and this is totally part of it! I can change my eating, exercise, and get off of all medicines, but I'm not taking care of my health if I'm not watching what words I'm feeding myself.

The other day, I found myself telling the hubby, "Dude, I feel so fat. I feel fatter now then I ever was." One, yes I did say that. Two, yes I did say dude. Being an elementary teacher means your vocabulary never has to grow up right? What was the husband's response? Did he help me throw a pity party compete with streamers and fat free cake (gotta still include my good friend GERD to the party)? Nope, he stared at me like I had grown a horn or something and said I needed to stop talking like that. He actually sounded offended that I would talk about the woman he loves that way. I feel like everyone needs someone like my husband in their life....Someone like my husband ladies, not my husband. He's all mine πŸ˜‰ We need people who won't coddle us and will just straight up tell us when we need to start loving ourselves more and start speaking the truth. The truth wasn't that I was feeling fatter. The truth was that I was frustrated because the scale hadn't moved for a week. The truth wasn't that I felt fatter than I ever was. The truth was that I was frustrated by my own unrealistic view of myself. The truth was that I needed to start seeing myself differently.

My grandfather use to say when the words are in your mind they belong to you but the moment you say them they belong to everyone around you. You can apologize, but you can never fully take them back. I'm challenging myself to take that advice and to go a step further because when the negative self talk is in my head, it's already doing damage. When I look in the mirror and get disgusted because *gasp* I have fat on my stomach (insert the word thighs, arms, or even big toe here), I'm not embracing the fact that I'm healthy and that God gave me this body to love and appreciate. When I tell myself that it would be easier if I just give up because what's the difference anyway, I'm not acknowledging the fact that I've never been one to just give up when things get harder. Why would I start now?

I want my son to believe in himself. I want him to know just how awesome he is. As a teacher, I know that kids learn from  modeling and doing so I know that the only way he will learn this is by watching us.

So, while this blog post may seem a little off topic...GERD... acid reflux...boogie man...ahh! (okay, I've hit the keywords I'm supposed to hit now), it's just as important to feed yourself with words that really fill you and inspire you. I talked in my last post about working out to music. Ben calls my music women music because all of the songs are...basically how much I rock 🀣. I start with "Fight Song" because it reminds me that I exercise to take back my life and end on "You Say/Who You Say I Am" every day because it reminds me to speak those words over myself.

In case no one told you today, you totally and completely rock. Yep, I'm talking to you. πŸ˜‰

Cool Shout Out Time: I talked to someone I love so much today, let's call her Super Ninja, and she has been working so hard to take back her health. I'm so proud of her! I told y'all in the first post that I am now your biggest cheerleader. I love hearing when people are working and reaching goals! My energy level totally goes up, and it makes me want to push that much harder so we can do it together! You guys totally inspire me! Keep telling me your victories because a dance party celebrating you is so much better than a pity party that I use to throw, even without the streamers. πŸŽ‰

*And now the moment you have all been waiting for...the moment that might save this post for people thinking I've gone off the deep end instead of writing about my GERD...my new meal idea! Ben has been stretching me to expand beyond my basic meals now that the whole family is eating healthy. So, I'm baking a pork tenderloin with a light parmesan coating tonight. Throw in a veggie (green beans) and a small baked potato and you have a meal that is restaurant quality but "I pay a whole lotta money for my kid to go to preschool and work as a public school teacher" budget friendly. Be careful when choosing your pork tenderloin. I bought two from two different stores, and they have very different fat amounts.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Healthy Vegetable Fried Rice

  W e are on an adventure! I'm trying out new recipes for my family. Up for tonight.... healthier vegetable fried rice. Ingredients Used...