Friday, June 28, 2019

Just A Cajun Girl Living In A GERD World

Y'all, don't get me wrong. I love living in Colorado. I love being next to the mountains and having amazing parks to bring my son to. I enjoy having so many healthy options restaurants and stores. Colorado was ranked number eight in healthiest states for 2018.

But...I'm from Louisiana, which was ranked number 50. I'm convinced that part of that ranking was the Cajuns. Our food is delicious. I grew up on gumbo, jambalaya, bread pudding (okay, my mouth is literally salivating), and beignets. I won a church cooking contest with my crawfish pie. Now, y'all know it's good when it wins at pentecostal church cooking contest. That was Cajun grandma good.

The problem is that Cajun food doesn't exactly have a reputation for being healthy, and I've been in this GERD world for six months now. I haven't had a single Cajun dish for six months. I have been known to boude' about this in my house. My husband has even learned that word and uses it on me now. So, can Cajun food be made healthy and GERD approved without tasting like Disney's version of gumbo (I'm still not over that)? What happens when I can no longer have the Cajun Trinity and Tony Chacherie? (Don't worry, I'll let Ben have it in his.) That's what my challenge to myself is this week!

When my parents moved into their new house, my mom took all three of her girls to the back of the house where things were stored and told us that we would be able to look through her cookbooks and keep some. I tried to keep my heart rate down as I saw my sisters grabbing the "fancy" southern cookbooks because I knew exactly what I was looking for and was able to grab it before they even noticed the treasure before them. No one cooks better than a Cajun grandma, no one. I collected a treasury of church women cookbooks and the local cookbook made by senior citizens. Those cookbooks have been stained as I tried to learn all the secrets inside of them.

This week, I'll be going through all of my cookbooks and attempting to make some of them GERD friendly while still tasting delicious. Easy, no (probably my toughest challenge yet actually), but this Cajun girl is missing her Cajun food.

If anyone has any specific Cajun dish that they would like me to try to take on, leave a comment here or just comment on my post on my Facebook page when I share this. I'll be doing a new blog post with my results and recipes for the dishes that we like.

So, wish me luck and allons!

                                                  The pot of gold at the end of a rainbow!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Healthy Vegetable Fried Rice

  W e are on an adventure! I'm trying out new recipes for my family. Up for tonight.... healthier vegetable fried rice. Ingredients Used...