Thursday, January 9, 2020

Who you callin a turkey?

Okay, dorky title aside, one of my goals this year was to post a healthier recipe every week for people to try. This week's is a Patrick family favorite, turkey burgers.

I use to love frozen turkey burgers from the store. They tasted....okay...and they were healthier...right? When I was diagnosed with GERD, it forced me to actually look at labels. Those healthy turkey burgers actually had 11 grams of fat per dry tasteless burger. I decided I needed to try to make my own. This is an extremely simple recipe, but I love it.

Turkey burgers:
1 lb 99% fat free ground turkey
1 serving of egg whites
1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs

Mix all ingredients together. Form into 5-6 patties, depending on size preference. Spray a pan with non stick spray and cook until cooked all the way through on both sides. To keep it from drying out, I usually cook until both sides are browned and then add some water to the pan to let the turkey continue to cook withoit drying out. For seasoning, I use salt on mine, and my husband prefers a smoke apple wood rub, salt, and pepper on his.

That's it. It's a short and simple recipe, but it works for a quick weeknight meal. We eat ours on sweet Hawaiian buns because they have less fat than some of the other ones that I found (Reminder, all of my meals are 3g of fat or less total due to gerd). I like slapping a slice of Borden's fat free cheese on mine.

The picture has nothing to do with the recipe, but I was the Avs teacher of the month in November and am currently in the running for the NHL teacher of the month. If you don't mind, please vote for me at www.nhl.com/mvt. You can vote once a day through January 31st.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Healthy Vegetable Fried Rice

  W e are on an adventure! I'm trying out new recipes for my family. Up for tonight.... healthier vegetable fried rice. Ingredients Used...