Sunday, June 9, 2019

GERDs the Word!

GERD, such a weird word, okay it's an acronym but still. When the doctor told me I had GERD, I laughed and told her she was wrong because I was coming in for back pain and something seriously wrong with one of the main organs. I was in so much pain that I couldn't walk straight up. I was pretty sure I needed surgery and was already dreading the sub plans. Oh the sub plans...

I didn't even get heartburn so how could I have GERD?!

So, what is GERD? Gastroesophageal Reflux Disorder. Basically, so many things trigger my acid reflux. Sometimes, it feels like acid reflux. Sometimes, it feels like a line of pain across my back. Sometimes, it feels like something is stuck in my throat and I just can't get it out. For the first couple of weeks I was convinced that there was nothing I could eat without being in pain
 Then, I made a plan. Those who have known me for a while, or anyone who has seen my desk at work, know that I love post it notes and I love making lists and plans. 

So, for people who have asked me what I eat...the answer is so much! I eat small meals/snacks every two hours or so. I eat low fat, low acidic foods. I've included a link to a Google Doc. This shows all of the foods that I eat. Are these the only healthy foods in the world? No way! Am I a nutritionist/dietician? Nope. But, this is what works for me and my body and what has been approved through my doctor. So, if you find yourself popping some Tums for dessert or don't enjoy that acid reflux waking you up at night (or if you just want to try something new), check it out!

Let me know if you try it. I'm all about support systems. I cried while grocery shopping the first time after my diagnosis, and I may have called my husband and announced that there was nothing in the store that I can eat. On the very rare occasion, I can be a little dramatic.

Google Doc of Foods I Eat (This will change as I discover new things to eat)


3 comments:

  1. You look absolutely amazing! You have sparked my motivation to get this weight back off! I will be following your blogs!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look fantastic! I saved a copy of the foods you can eat so that I can try eating this way.

    ReplyDelete

Healthy Vegetable Fried Rice

  W e are on an adventure! I'm trying out new recipes for my family. Up for tonight.... healthier vegetable fried rice. Ingredients Used...