Tuesday, June 11, 2019

What's In A Name?

Happy Birthday! πŸŽ‚ Wait, it's not your birthday?... I thought we had the same birthday πŸ˜‰ Thank you to everyone who just made a mental note to tell me happy birthday now.

I've been thinking about the power of names for a while. My name means "follower of Christ" or "annointed one." My husband's name means "son of my right hand." That got me looking a little more into what that actually meant, and I read that the right hand represented strength. So, it can mean son of strength. Really cool side note,my son's name means defender of men. So, from The Annointed Follower of Christ and The Son of Strength came The Defender of Men. If that's not asking for our own superhero storyline, I don't know what is.

So, as I started thinking about names, I started thinking about other names we are given throughout our lives. We are all given labels. Some we embrace, and some we spend our lives hiding from. I started thinking about the effect those labels have on us.

For many years, I ran from my labels and tried to cover them.  I wore the label of abandonment for years and covered it with a smile. I wore the label of rejected and tried to hide it with humor (I mean, I am hilarious). I thought I had it all under control, but it led to emotional eating that spiraled out of control.

Let me be clear. In no way am I ever going to shame people for eating delicious drops of Heaven disguised as donuts, cookies, and cake. Having a cupcake or donut with friends because you are celebrating or just having a great day is one thing. Eating a cupcake and donuts  because you're running from stress or feelings is a totally different thing that could lead to some unhealthy choices emotionally and physically. I know I'm not the only one who relates to this, I hope I'm not (there is that label of insecurity sneaking back on me). It took my husband calling it out when he saw it to make me realize how many times I emotionally ate.

So, what do we do about it? Am I magically cured? No way on GGE! (That's a Sunday School Musical reference. Do yourself a favor and look it up. It's probably one of the worst made movies ever but I just couldn't stop watching it like it would somehow get better each time.)  Part of being healthy is working on our emotional health. Who says that we have to wear names and labels that others have put on us. You know what's cool about labels? THEY COME OFF! Ask my four year old. That's how we started playing the game of guess what canned veggie we are eating tonight while cooking supper. I have to constantly remind myself of the names I was born with and the names I've worked hard for.

I'm not rejected, I've been chosen.
I'm not abandoned, I'm set apart for greater things.
I'm not worthless. I'm worth dying for.
I am a strong and confident woman.
I am an amazing wife and mom. (Okay, most days πŸ˜‚)
I am a caring and passionate teacher.
I AM A UNICORN! (Side note:  I knew Ben was the right guy for me when he said I was his unicorn, something he wanted but didn't think he would ever find. )


So... for my 34th birthday, I decided that maybe we can all celebrate together. Maybe, just maybe, we can all do a little relabeling.

3 comments:

Healthy Vegetable Fried Rice

  W e are on an adventure! I'm trying out new recipes for my family. Up for tonight.... healthier vegetable fried rice. Ingredients Used...